Wednesday, 19 May 2021 13:07

Pet Travel Arrangements Featured

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Pet Travel Arrangements

 Since leaving the EU travel arrangements for pets going to and coming from Europe have changed. UK issued Pets Passports are no longer valid for travel in the EU. Instead, they have been replaced by a system of Animal Health Certificates (AHCs) for travel to the EU and Northern Ireland. These certificates have to be issued within 10 days of travel, and are valid for travel within Europe for 3 months. Each pet (up to a maximum of 5) will require :

  1. a microchip
  2. a rabies vaccination
  3. worming for tapeworm if going direct to Northern Ireland, Ireland, Malta, Norway or Finland
  4. an Animal Health Certificate

If your pet has a valid EU Pet Passport, that can be used for entry into Europe, but to be valid the rabies vaccination must be up to date. UK OVs (Official Veterinary Surgeons) are no longer permitted to make entries into these passports, save for the recording of worm treatment which does not require the stamp and signature of an OV. An EU AHC will be required for entry into the UK. The most up to date information is available on the government web site at :

Taking your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad

Read 515 times Last modified on Wednesday, 19 May 2021 09:47
More in this category: « The Needle is Not the Point!
Login to post comments

About Midsummer Veterinary Group

A small animal veterinary practice in Milton Keynes providing primary and secondary veterinary care for the pets of Milton Keynes

Latest News